Nikon enters APS-C mirrorless race
The Z 50 is Nikon’s first DX (APS-C) mirrorless camera and it has all the qualities to make it a huge success.
The Nikon Z 50 is a 20.9-megapixel DX (APS-C) camera aimed at two sectors: enthusiasts and content creators. The former includes existing Nikon users who want to go mirrorless, but don’t need a full-frame body, or prefer something more portable but with Nikon feel and handling. The latter includes those who want better quality than a smartphone or compact.
We got our hands on a pre-production Z 50 at the official launch, and it promises to be a nice piece of kit. Basically, it shares the look, menus and many features of the full-frame Z series but in a smaller body. The handgrip is deep and provides a solid grip, while handling is very Nikon. For example, ISO and exposure compensation are right next to the shutter button.
It’s also got all the stuff that makes mirrorless attractive, such as 209 on-sensor phase detect points giving 90% horizontal and vertical coverage and allowing the all-important face and eye detect AF options. It’s fast, too, with a top speed of 11fps, and that’s with full AE/AF tracking. And like the Z 6 and 7, the EVF is smooth and clear.
Two DX lenses were also launched. The Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 is a retractable standard zoom and the Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 is a compact telezoom. Get both and you have an effective 24-375mm in a portable, lightweight outfit. It is all available from mid-November.
Nikon Z 50 specs:
- 20.9-megapixel APS-C DX
- Expeed 6 image processor
- Nikon Z mount
- ISO range 100-51,200 and 204,800 (H2 extended)
- 209 on sensor phase-detect AF points, 90%
- Compatible with FTZ adapter
- 11fps with AE/AF
- Silent mode
- 3.2in 1040K dot tilting touchscreen
- 4K/30p video
- One SD card slot
- Bluetooth, Wi-Fi connectivity
- Integral flash
- Up to 300 shots per charge
Nikon Z 50 prices
- Nikon Z 50 body only – £849 (or £989 with FTZ adapter)
- Nikon Z 50 with Z16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 – £989
- Nikon Z 50 with Z16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 and FTZ adapter – £1129
- Nikon Z 50 with Z16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 and Z50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 – £1199
For more information, please visit the Nikon website.