Posted on Apr 20, 2020
Canon’s gradual and teasing unveiling of details about its EOS R5 is building up a picture of a potentially groundbreaking product that will excite still and video content creators.
Canon’s new EOS R5 mirrorless camera is a full-frame model with an enticing feature set and is sure to appeal to appeal to still photographers and video shooters. Its video feature line-up is especially impressive and the EOS R5 has filming features only seen in high-end cinema cameras.
The EOS R5’s full specification is still to be revealed, but this is what Canon has confirmed in its latest press release:
- It has two card slots, 1x CFexpress and 1xSD UHS-II.
- The IBIS system is five-axis optical.
- Dual Pixel AF is available in all video modes, at all resolutions and frame rates.
- 8K Raw non-cropped internal recording at 29.97fps in 4:2:2 10 bit Canon log (H.265) or in 4:2:2 10 bit HDR PQ (H.265).
- 4K Raw non-cropped internal recording up to 119.88fps.
- 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log or in 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ via HDMI at 4K 59.94fps.
In two previous development notices, Canon revealed that the EOS R5 has:
- 8K and 4K video supported by Canon Dual Pixel CMOS AF.
- There’s advanced animal AF – recognising cats, dogs and birds.
- Continuous shooting is 12fps with the mechanical shutter and 20fps with the electronic shutter.
- The body features an in-body image stabilisation system that will work in combination with lens IS.
Canon UK’s pro product marketing senior manager, Richard Shepherd, said: “Last month, we revealed specs confirming that we have achieved the ‘impossible’ with the EOS R5. Today, we go one step further in showing we are challenging the market and showcasing our unparalleled strength – revealing the camera will offer video recording capabilities unseen in any other mirrorless camera.
“With its ability to record in cinema industry-standard formats and codecs, the EOS R5 is an ideal lead camera for many productions but also, given its compatibility with cinema workflows, the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets.”
We’ll bring you more on the Canon EOS R5 in due course.
For more information, please visit the Canon website.
Don’t forget to sign up to receive our newsletter below, and get notified about the new issue, exclusive offers and competitions.
Have you heard The Photography News Podcast? Tune in for news, techniques, advice and much more! Click here to listen for free.